Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 19:30:16 -0800
From:      Parker Brown <phbrown@gte.net>
To:        support@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2.5 Cannot Find User's Home Directories

Just installed 2.2.5, then added the usual user (for relatively
worry-free use of the system) while still running the /floppies/boot.flp
kernel.  I guess I misunderstood the use of the home directory field, so
when I logged in as a user the system could not find, and apparently had
not built, a home directory.

I created a new home directory in /usr/home using a backup from previous
FreeBSD releases.  Then I edited /etc/passwd to indicate the correct
home directory.  That did not work, so I then edited /etc/master.passwd
with same.  No good.

If I knew the name of the module (maybe login.c .... I will look after
sending this requset for help) that locates the user's home directory,
maybe I could scroll through that to answer my own question.

Could someone please give me some suggestions that can solve my (user
login) problems and/or give me some insight as to where I might look?