Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2012 22:00:04 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "lokadamus@gmx.de" <lokadamus@gmx.de>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Graeme Dargie <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: NTFS data recovery

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 21:32:30 +0200, lokadamus@gmx.de wrote:
> Other programms:
> http://www.sleuthkit.org/ (opensource i think)

It is. I've been using it, it's very professional, except that
they nowadays keep their (quite good) documentation in some
wiki on the web. :-(

> http://www.ufsexplorer.de/products.php (commercial)

This product also offers a "test mode", i. e. you can run it
for free, but functionality is limited. At least you can use
it this way to check _if_ there is something to recover, even
though for _actually_ recovering it you'd tend to use free
UNIX tools.

There's another recommendation I'd like to add: R-Studio and
R-Studio Emergency. There's also a live CD well suited for
diagnostics, but of course you will have to pay for the full
(and therefore fully functional) version.

So I think it's worth _first_ checking out the free tools on
UNIX, especially TSK. You _need_ to understand _what_ you are
going to do in order to have a _chance_ of being successful.
There basically is no "Joe Q. Sixpack's Click to Recover All
The Files" tool for free. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany