Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:19:51 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, Anders Troback <freebsd@troback.com>
Subject:   Re: Qemu crash...

> It "should" work, but people sometimes report that it doesn't
> (i.e. when they get the resulting panic).  It at least needs to be
> investigated.

What I suggested works for qemu since kldstat -m works for
aio and kqemu.  May be people tried kldload without checking
if the module existed?  kldload should do the equiv. of
kldstat -m.

> There's still the "stale module" problem.

You mean an old module that you want to replace?

> No, it only works for things that are modules:
>
> > grep -i compat /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/XOR
> options         COMPAT_43               # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
> options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
> options         COMPAT_LINUX

Ah, I see what you mean...  The quick way is to default to
options INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE but the DEFAULTS file has muddied
the situation as its contents are not shown.  May be it is
better for config(8) to generate necessary sysctl glue for
options, makeoptions etc.  Even better if sysctl kern.config
can used to recreate the config file of a running system....