Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:09:25 -0600
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Nicolas Blais <nb_root@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't compile jdk15 on amd64 5.3-STABLE

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:33:42 -0500, Nicolas Blais <nb_root@videotron.ca>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So far I've been running linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.06_1 successfully on my
> box and  works great in konqueror but not at all in firefox.

Well, you're doing better than I am.  :-)  The linux jdk goes nuts when
I try using it on my Athlon 64 box under CURRENT, launching multiple
copies (no, not threads, I checked) of the same process.

> So I tried to compile  jdk15 and it gives me the following error:
>
> <snip>
> execv(): Bad address
> Error trying to exec /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.2/bin/javac.
> Check if file exists and permissions are set correctly.
> gmake[3]: *** [.compile.classlist] Error 1
> gmake[3]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/j2se/make/java/java' gmake[2]: *** [all]
> Error 1 gmake[2]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/j2se/make/java' gmake[1]: *** [all] Error
> 1 gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/j2se/make'
> gmake: *** [j2se-build] Error 2
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk15.
>
> I googled around and found
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-java/2005-February/003446.html
> and  several replies but no real fix for me. Apparently I'm not the
> only one in  this situation.
>
> >From what I understand, the command "javac" that is executed before
> >the fail
> point is 25814 characters long and on my 5.3-STABLE machine I max out
> at  16384 characters (according to many configure scripts). I tried
> copy pasting  the javac command but I max out of the buffer near the
> middle of the command  whether I use Konsole, Xterm or good-old ttyv +
> csh.
>
> Jdk15 compiles fine on my -CURRENT amd64 machine but I would like to
> have it  work on my stable one as well.
>
> Any solutions?

No, none other than the workaround "solution" that appeared in the list
recently, I'm sorry to say.

I'm surprised you had no problems building the port under CURRENT as
well.  I encountered exactly the problem you're describing when I tried
building under CURRENT on my Athlon 64 (amd64) box.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"