Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 11:09:40 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Marko Cuk <cuk@nu.cuk.nu>
Cc:        Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>, Andy Newman <andy@silverbrook.com.au>, Roman Shterenzon <roman@jamus.xpert.com>, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/21148: multiple crashes while using vinum

On Wednesday,  3 January 2001 at 21:51:52 +0100, Marko Cuk wrote:
> I had the same problems on IDE and SCSI configuration on 4.0, 4.1, 4.1.1 .
> I spent cash on buying 2 x 40Gig IDE Wd's and put them into mirror.
> That was a few months ago.
>
> I had crashes also with bridging, but Bosko Milekic and Thomas fixed the
> code with a little help and bridge works superb in 4.2 STABLE.
>
> So I was still interested in RAID5 and also very curious about Vinum in 4.2
> so I decided to test that thing with same disks ( old SCSI disks , bud good
> ) and belive or not, it works also under heavy load.
> It is strange, but I didn't change anything. Controller was the same
> Adaptec, cables were the same, disks also. Bsd was 4.2 STABLE.
>
> Please try it on 4.2 STABLE and report.
>
> I must admit, that I am not a FreeBSD hacker, I don't know many
> about debugging and I was very unhelpful to Grog, but he is very
> sure, that Vinum works and I don't like his way of thinking about
> that.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  I've made it clear (even in the
man pages) that there are some problems with RAID-5.  What else (apart
from fix the problem :-) do you want me to do?

> I also set him account on that maschine, to check and debug problems
> on that maschine and repair them, but he wasn't interested in
> solving such problems.  He blamed me for config or some other
> mistake.

I don't have any record of this.  Did you use some other name?  The
last exchange we had (27 November 2000), you didn't want to submit the
information I asked for, I said I wouldn't be able to help you much
without it, and you said you would go back and get the information.  I
don't see anything about being offered an account on the machine,
which indeed would have been of assistance.  But basically, all I
needed at that point was a (preferably unmutilated) copy of the
information I asked for.  Based on what you supplied, I don't even
know if you had a panic or just a freeze.

> Vinum and RAID5 under 4.1 is not stable. That's all.

Ah, but there's the problem.  There are no changes between 4.1 and
4.2.  In some cases, we run into these problems, but for the most part
it just works.

Greg