Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2016 09:39:57 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tool for mapping away bad blocks on an external disk

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 09:26:41 +0200
Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an older external disk, connected through USB, which has bad
> blocks:

	The tool you're looking for is badsect - I'm moderately surprised
it's still around, the last time I used it was on FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 but it is
still in FreeBSD 10.3.

	It doesn't do the analysis though - you'll have to do that with the
filesystem unmounted and just used dd conv=noerror if=<device> of=/dev/null
to read the whole device and pull the duff sectors out of the error
messages.

	However it's been a *long* time since this was worth doing except
perhaps as a last ditch data recovery exercise, drives have had internal
sector remapping for a long time now and when that stops working they are
well and truly banjaxed.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>