Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 95 13:11:16 GMT
From:      gusw@fub46.zedat.fu-berlin.de (Gunther Schadow)
To:        gusw@fub46.zedat.fu-berlin.de, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: new device driver for scanner

Hi Jordan,

 > Hey, that's really great, thanks!  [Translation: "Boah! Ist das aber Geil!!"]
 > :-)
[Oops, where have you learned that german slang?]

 > > for people with other hardware. Will the driver work for other handys? Or
 > > will it work after only few modifications? Please send me your experiences
 > > and I am also willing to help.
 >
 > Will do.  Let me see how hard this is to integrate - not very, I hope! :)

What kind of scanner do you have? As long as it's semantics is
similar the major changes would be in gscreg.h and in the geometry
array in gsc.h. As soon as there is an other peace of hardware that
uses different ports, I will invent an array which maps base port
addresses x hardware types to the registers.

I am currently working on code that uses larger dma buffers (64k) and
will read one buffer in advance. This is because there is always a
nasty stripe at the buffer boundaries when the scanner is in halftone
mode. I expect to minimize the time that the scanner proceeds without
any dma transaction running which occurs when the buffer is moved,
inverted and read until it's again empty.

There will be a new version coming soon.

regards
-Gunther