Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 17:48:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, mhagerty@voyager.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, "Albert D.Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
Subject:   Re: Article: Network performance by OS

:a pool machine for a project or customer visit, fixing the switches when they
:blow up after a power cut, or restoring the Exhange databases...They
:don't even manage to find the time to recompile a Solaris kernel!
:
:Dynamic tuning would be ideal to help our IT get best performance out of NFS
:and Samba serving project data whilst also running Verilog/VDHL sims on the
:same box. I guess that this may never get to "best performance" for a given app,
:and, as such would not want to remove the possibility of tuning.

    Why are you assuming that tuning takes a lot of effort?  One good sysop
    is all you need.  One man-week and then you are done.  That's it.  We
    aren't talking about having an entire department working 24x7 for a
    year tuning machines.  We are talking about *ONE* person who tunes the
    machines on the side.  The amount of effort required is zero...  That
    is how it works on UNIX systems... Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, whatever.
    Tuning a UNIX box is extremely easy to do and extremely easy to
    replicate.  It doesn't matter whether you have one machine or a hundred.
    Not taking the time to tune your machines is roughly equivalent to
    running a 6 cylinder engine on 4 cylinders.

    This is true whether you are a small shop or a big shop, whether you
    are a startup or a fortune-500 company, whether your UNIX machines
    are servers or workstations.   There is no 'if'.  Anyone who
    depends on the default configuration of their systems and anyone who
    isn't willing to maintain them after they've been installed is throwing
    away money.  Lots of money.  It's that simple.  If your IT department
    isn't up to the task then maybe you should consider firing them.

						-Matt

:Duncan
:
:---
:Duncan Barclay  | God smiles upon the little children,