Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:28:55 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed new Bourne shell init files

Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org> wrote:
>
> >       Commentary on my files. . . Using allexport instead of an explicit
> > 'export' for every variable makes the file easier to read, and gives a
> > novice user one less thing to worry about.
>
> I think Sue has a made a good argument against allexport.
> Also, from your reply to her I suspect you didn't know about
>
>     export VAR=value

	You might try giving me the benefit of the doubt. :) The problem with that
option is that it's not portable. If we're going to be using the .files as
a teaching experience, we should teach good habits.

> which is what I use and would like to suggest.
>
> >       I added 'set -o emacs' to dot.shrc, it makes life much easier,
>
> FWIW, "set -E" does the same in fewer letters but is a FreeBSDism.

	*Nod* Portability, and I like spelling out of the options as a general
principle. It makes it easier for a new user to understand what's
happening.

> >       I fully realize that treading in this area is likely to provoke lenghty
> > arguments, goring of cows, etc. :)
>
> I suggest we use nails with square heads for the south side of the
> bike shed.

	*Chuckle*

> > # Search path for cd(1)
> > CDPATH=.:$HOME
>
> Hmpf.
>
> > # General aliases
> > alias la='ls -A'
> > alias lf='ls -AF'
> > alias ll='ls -loaF'
> > alias m=$PAGER
> > alias g='egrep -i'
>
> These are *very much* a matter of taste.

	I copied the above from the current files. I use the CDPATH in my .bashrc
anyway, and I've never had a problem with it. I also use the ls aliases
(well, not lf) and I have no experience with the other two, I just copied
them.

> I don't like a single one
> of them, but then again I wouldn't want to force mine on anybody
> else.

	Yeah, the file would be a lot longer if I included the stuff from my
.bashrc. :)

> One alias I think worth considering is
>
>     alias r='fc -s'

	Hrrmm... ok. I have no experience with that, but I wouldn't object to its
inclusion.

Doug
--
    "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
existence? Is that possible?" asked the student incredulously.