Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 14:37:22 GMT
From:      dburr@POBoxes.com (Donald Burr)
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, hosokawa@jp.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.2.1, PAO 970331, and New Media Toast'n'Jam (SCSI portion): possible?

I recently ordered FreeBSD 2.2.1 from Walnut Creek, because I really
wanted to get back into running , tweaking, and playing around with
UNIX.  But I'm having a bit of a problem here.

First, my hardware configuration:

Toshiba Satellite 105CS
810 MB internal HD (do not want to use - see below)
Intel PCMCIA controller
PCMCIA Cards:
	New Media Toast'n'Jam, USRobotics Sportster 33.6
Peripherals hanging off SCSI card:
	Iomega Jaz 1GB cartridge drive, NEC 8x CD-ROM drive

Since I have no space left on my internal drive, and still need to
access Win95 and use my applications, I want to install FreeBSD on its
own 1 GB Jaz cartridge.

But the standard FreeBSD distribution does not support PCMCIA at all
-- it did not detect any of my PCMCIA devices, etc.

So, after searching around the web a while, I found the PAO package
(version 970331), at:
http://www.jp.FreeBSD.org/PAO/

I read that multifunction cards are NOT supported, and yes, the
Toast'n'Jam card is a combination SCSI and sound card.  But someone
told me that the SCSI portion of the Toast'n'Jam is identical to a New
Media Bus Toaster, which *is* a supported card under PAO, so I figured
"there's nothing to lose, let's try it, what the hell"

I rawrite'd this boot image and loaded it.  Sure enough, it displayed
messages about probing PCMCIA sockets, etc.  It even went so far as to
say that my Toast'n'Jam was assigned the device aic0.  However, none
of the drives attached to it showed up!  I discovered this when trying
to install from the CD-ROM drive, and it said "no CD-ROM detected!"

The Toast'n'Jam uses the same AIC controller as the Adaptec APA-1460,
which *is* supported by PAO (I borrowed one that belongs to a friend,
and it worked fine).  I know this for two reasons: (1) PAO itself
identified it as an aic0, and (2) because these two cards use the
exact same driver (sparrow.mpd) under Win95.

None of the debug messages on VTY2 (or any other VTY, for that matter)
provided any useful information.  No blatant error messages, etc.

If someone can help me out here, that would be very much appreciated.
If there is some configuration tweaking that I can try.  Or, if this
card is definitely NOT supported, please tell me, so that I can quit
beating my head against the wall on this one.

Please respond by e-mail if possible.  Thank you!
--
Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW Home Page: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455| right to