Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 21:38:34 -0400
From:      "Nathan Vidican" <unix_usr@jet2.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Vinum and/or disk mirroring

Am I correct in assuming that vinum deals with disk mirroring/striping? I
see the messages floating in/out every so often on the list, and I'm
curious.
	I'd like to setup a machine to mirror two identical IDE disks, primarily
to achieve higher performance. The configuration would be a single 365meg
IDE disk as the primary drive on the first channel, with a 15gig ide disk
as a slave, followed by an identifcal 15gig ide disk as the primary drive
on the secondary channel (with a cdrom as secondary slave). What I'd like
to do is mount the 365meg HD as root, and mirror the other two disks into
swap and one large partition mounted as /server.
	What kind of recomendations do you have? Should I just use CCD, (I've read
up on, and tried tampering a little with CCD - but admittedly never gave it
much effort). I hear about vinum, but again am not sure what it is? How
would be the simplest way to go about doing what it is I'm trying to do?

Nathan Vidican
unix_usr@jet2.net