Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 2010 03:14:54 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, Stanislav Sedov <stas@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Results of BIND RFC

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 09:24:51AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20100402021715.669838e0.stas@FreeBSD.org>, Stanislav Sedov writes:
> >On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 08:55:07 +0000
> >"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> mentioned:
>
> >Sorry, I think I was not clear enough.
>
> Sorry for misunderstanding.
>
> Yes, the case can certainly be made that DNS query tool belongs in the
> base system.

I disagree (so what else is new?)  It should be kept out of the base
system.  KISS:

Doug pulling BIND out of the base system / going ports-only = excellent.

Doug making a separate port for BIND-esque DNS query/maintenance tools =
excellent.

Both of the above can be made into packages.  Vendors who use FreeBSD
can incorporate said package(s) into their build infrastructure.  Folks
who do not have Internet connections (yet for some reason want said DNS
tools) can install the package(s) from CD/DVD/USB.

I want the bikeshed to be black.  :-)

[1]: FreeBSD really needs to move away from the "base system" as a
concept, as I've ranted about in the past.  Or if it cannot, the "base
system" needs to start using pkg_* (somehow) for use, and src.conf
WITHOUT_xxx (where xxx = some software) removed.  Concept being: "I
don't need Kerberos; pkg_delete base-krb5.  I also don't need lib32;
pkg_delete base-lib32".  Beautiful concept, hard to implement due to
libraries being yanked out from underneathe binaries that are linked to
them.  But you get the idea.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |