Date:      Mon, 19 May 2014 16:20:14 +0300
From:      "Sulev-Madis Silber (ketas)" <madis555@hot.ee>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   BBB MMC / SD detection instability with U-Boot 2014.04 (CPU 1GHz)

Hello.

Although maybe I could write this as reply to some other message, I feel
like it might deserve separate one.

I use U-Boot 2014.04 which sets CPU frequency to 1GHz, which seems nice.
Apart from inability to find eMMC in ubldr (SD card is always fine), now
I get whole different issues here. With 2013.04, I get occasional eMMC
failure I mentioned earlier. With 2014.04, it's very hard to get SD
devices detected at all. And I get all sorts of weird errors (megabytes
of boot logs from serial if anyone wishes to see). I'm aware how HW
clock changes can affect things like this, but I'm not exactly sure
where and what happens when this is done. If I boot with 2013.04, it's
ok again, if I switch to 2014.04 again, it's ok again for a while. It
really feels like it's overheating. After a while, it gets extremely
hard to get thing booted up. Both devices sometimes detect and sometimes
not. I get things like "no compatible cards found on bus" (mmc 0/1), or
things like "card at relative address x lost". Tried adding delays like
suggested earlier, but that doesn't help and now the issue seems
different. I get no other issues. System is very stable once it's booted
up. There are no hangs, panics... Everything works. I must mention that
I always use latest CURRENT. I didn't find a way to make kernel reboot
system when root mount fails, so I manually patched that option in. Last
time I got 11 failures before it booted up with both SD and eMMC found
(they don't fail same way every time, sometimes SD is missing, often
eMMC is missing).

What would somebody else think about such issues? I don't have
experience in HW dev, I can only guess what goes wrong. And again, if it
boots, it works. And no component on BBB gets too warm to hold finger
there for long time, too (if that matters). I have 5V 2.5A PSU powering
it (but the PMIC should fail if voltage drops too much, etc, I read the
datasheet for that), I have few LEDs with resistors connected to GPIO
pins, two ~30cm wires that sit on table for input testing (resistors
there too, of course) and Nokia DKU-5 data cable for USB-TTL serial
console. If the board gets any ground, it's via this cable. But I don't
see how my HW config is related to this issue. And I don't change this
when I try different U-Boot's?! I don't have USB devices connected to
host port and nothing to other USB port too. I use old 64MB SD card to
help with booting (because of ubldr issues), not sure that matters, though.

Thanks.