Date:      22 Jun 99 14:30:22 PDT
From:      Jesus Monroy <jesus.monroy@usa.net>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@alcnet.com>, <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [RE: [Announcing new distributed.net Team FreeBSD site]]

"Kelly Yancey" <kbyanc@alcnet.com> wrote:
> 	[ML]  Outperform doing what?  There's simply no way a PII would
> 		make a better space heater than the cluster, even if it
> 		makes a Nice Try:)
> > The only take I could get would be something about resurrecting stuff=

> > from the junkyard for useful work.
> =

> 	[ML]  Hey, careful about junkyard!  This reminds me of some
> 		people I know who put PIII and U2W SCSI disks as file
> 		servers on 16Mbps TokenRing, whereas your junkyard '486
> 		saturates it just as well.	/Marino> --
> =

>   He has a point, I don't know how this would be impressive to people. =
Not
> to diminish the work, I checked out the site and it's a neat project...=
just
> as Jesus Monroy said, though, it's a lot of junk computers. The team
> welcomes any computers it can get, but I just don't know what would mak=
e the
> BUDS project standout...looking at the BUDS archetecture, it would seem=
 that
> you would still have to run the client on each and every machine separa=
tely
> which would be no different than anyone else's network of standalone PC=
s.
> Now if you could get it to run a single client with the threads distrib=
uted
> across computers... ;)

    I appreciate your comments. =

    I have will consider some opinions today.
    'Threads' will not be in them.

    Threads are to sychronize and qualfiy not and item for =

    efficeny or effectiveness.

>   So, yes, it would be great if BUDS would contribute to Team FreeBSD. =
But I
> don't what press could come out of it. I'm working on getting team memb=
er's
> stats plotted so you could put the graph on the BUDS website showing th=
> work it is doing, but that's about all I can think of.
> =

>   Now if I could only graph the heat produced while processing keys... =
:)
> =

    That might be worth considering. :-)

---
"I'd rather pay for my freedom than live in a bitmapped, =

pop-up-happy dungeon like NT."
http://www.performancecomputing.com/features/9809of1.shtml