Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 2012 17:03:16 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com>
To:        EBRIMA F M SAWANEH <pasawaneh@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome will not start

Hi,

On Tuesday 24 January 2012 16:42:54 EBRIMA F M SAWANEH wrote:
> Thank you Erich.
> I am newbie and trying to learn UNIX.
> I have edited rc.conf and included the entries as you suggested however the
> error before will not show up but gnome will still not be loaded.
> You mentioned," When GNOME still does not start, use first a simple window
> manager or plain X to see where the errors is hidden "
> how do I do that?

First, make sure that no GUI starts after FreeBSD is up and running.

You should have a .xinitrc in your home directory.

It can look like this:

#!/bin/sh
bbkeys &
#
# blackbox seems to be the best for the P2120.
# XFCE is also very usable. It was the dfesktop/window manager used
# on the Dual-Athlon machine.
# Beryl did not work due to a dbus problem.
# compiz does not work
# fluxbox is a good replacement for blackbox
# openbox could be used
# ratpoison does not seem to be the dream for me.
# gnome-session starts a GNOME session without GDM being a logon manager.
#
# Do not forget to disable bbkeys if you are using beryl.
#
# exec beryl
#
# Blackbox is the window manager of choice.
#
exec blackbox
# exec compiz
# exec fluxbox
# exec gnome-session
# exec ratpoison
# exec openbox
#
# XFCE4 is a serious option. It might be the desktop for employees.
#
# exec startxfce4
#
# Start KDE4
#
# exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde
#
# 09.09.11
#
# We use the X session manager.
#
# XSM restarts the applications but not the window manager.
#
# xsm

The line starting with a # are comments.

Just install blackbox and bbkeys and you can use this script. You can use any other window manager if edit the file accordingly.

There should be the file  /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

If you post it here, it will be easier to help you.

If you keep the list in the CC, others will be able to help too.

Erich