Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:37:18 -0300
From:      Jim Robinson <ring0@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   modem: almost there

 Greetings all,

   I have a Gateway Solo 2200 and am trying to use a Gateway Telepath
XJ1560 PCMCIA modem under FBSD 3.1-release. I've installed the PAO beta
package for 3.1 and tried several different arrangements in my kernel
configuration file. I've even managed to get it to dial a couple times,
but after rebooting I just get "failed to allocate resource" errors when
pccardd tries to enable the card.

   After a dozen or so new kernels and mucking about in the bios so much
I can't remember what it looked like when I started, I'm out of ideas.
I've already recieved some invaluable help from some fbsd users, but I
haven't been able to use it to get 'over the top'. If someone could
explain some basic things (like how to decide what irq to assign to the
pccard controller without goofing up the 'com ports', and if those ports
can be disabled), I would REALLY appreciate it.