Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 17:09:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: A Desparate Plea for Help...

Hi Bruce Evans;  On 29-Apr-97 you wrote:
> >Please keep me up to date on the results of your LKM-related tests.  If
> >it turns out that there's a problem with unloading LKMs leaving occupied
> >but invalid devsw entries around we'd better fix it 8)
>
> Er, AFAIK unloading LKM drivers is broken in all cases.  It certainly
> doesn't work for either of the officially supported LKM cdevs (joy
> and qcam).  Unloading either of these and then attempting to opening
> the nonexistent device gives precisely the trap at _spec_open+0x6e that
> Simon reported (the devsw entry is not affected by unloading and points
> to garbage).  Unloading followed by reloading obviously can't work,
> because the driver only initializes the devsw once.

So this is probably it.  The OSS driver somehow unloads (or does somthing
akin to that) and then fvwm2 tries to access the sound devices (the
obligatory boing!), and poof! - here comes the fsck.

Speaking of fsck, I am still getting a malloc failure in fsck -p, which
runs at the top of /etc/rc.  I kludged a ``ulimit
-too_many_resources_for_everything'' into the script and now it runs fine.
This problem rears its ugly head with file systems of 4GB or more,
especially if you have many of them.  Fsck probably mallocs table spave for
all the entries it finds in /etc/fstab, upfront.  either we fix fsck to
specifically raise its limits, before starting (or if failing to malloc),
or adopt the /etc/rc kludge.

If there is an ``owner'' for this code, please contact me, or I can submit
the patches myself.

Simon