Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 17:39:14 -0400
From:      "Liotta, Bob" <bLiotta@USCO.com>
To:        "'questions@Freebsd.org'" <questions@Freebsd.org>
Subject:   I have an SMP Problem

Folks,

I have an HP LC2000r 2 CPU System.  I built an SMP Kernel for 4.0 and during
the boot stage, it
randomly locks up.  My guess is it hangs when trying to start the 2nd CPU.
I have other recent
models of the HP NetServer and they work fine.  I currently have this
working on LC3 Servers.
Not sure what the problem is.  It will boot with a single processor though.
I have attached an
mptable listing.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob

===

MPTable, version 2.0.15

 looking for EBDA pointer @ 0x040e, found, searching EBDA @ 0x0009e800
 searching CMOS 'top of mem' @ 0x0009e400 (633K)
 searching default 'top of mem' @ 0x0009fc00 (639K)
 searching BIOS @ 0x000f0000

 MP FPS found in BIOS @ physical addr: 0x000f7970

---

MP Floating Pointer Structure:

  location:                     BIOS
  physical address:             0x000f7970
  signature:                    '_MP_'
  length:                       16 bytes
  version:                      1.4
  checksum:                     0x4e
  mode:                         Virtual Wire
---

MP Config Table Header:

  physical address:             0x0009e960
  signature:                    'PCMP'
  base table length:            356
  version:                      1.4
  checksum:                     0xde
  OEM ID:                       'HP      '
  Product ID:                   'LC 2000     '
  OEM table pointer:            0x00000000
  OEM table size:               0
  entry count:                  36
  local APIC address:           0xfee00000
  extended table length:        272
  extended table checksum:      248

---

MP Config Base Table Entries:

--
Processors:     APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step
Flags
                 1       0x11    BSP, usable     6       8       1
0x387fb
ff
                 0       0x11    AP, usable      6       8       1
0x387fb
ff
--
Bus:            Bus ID  Type
                 0       PCI
                 1       PCI
                 2       PCI
                 3       PCI
                 4       PCI
                 5       PCI
                 6       ISA
--
I/O APICs:      APIC ID Version State           Address
                 2       0x11    usable          0xfec00000
                 3       0x11    usable          0xfec01000
--
I/O Ints:       Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID PIN#
                ExtINT  active-hi        edge        6     0          2    0
                INT     active-hi        edge        6     1          2    1
                INT     active-hi        edge        6     2          2    2
                INT     active-hi        edge        6     3          2    3
                INT     active-hi        edge        6     4          2    4
                INT     active-lo       level        6     5          2    5
                INT     active-hi        edge        6     6          2    6
                INT     active-hi        edge        6     7          2    7
                INT     active-hi        edge        6     8          2    8
                INT     active-lo       level        6     9          2    9
                INT     active-lo       level        6    10          2   10
                INT     active-lo       level        6    11          2   11
                INT     active-hi        edge        6    12          2   12
                INT     active-hi        edge        6    13          2   13
                INT     active-hi        edge        6    14          2   14
                INT     active-hi        edge        6    15          2   15
                INT     active-lo       level        0   2:A          3    0
                INT     active-lo       level        0   3:A          3    1
                INT     active-lo       level        0   4:A          3    2
                INT     active-lo       level        0   5:A          3    3
                INT     active-lo       level        3   2:A          3    4
                INT     active-lo       level        3   6:A          3    8
                INT     active-lo       level        3   6:B          3    9
--
Local Ints:     Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID PIN#
                ExtINT  active-hi        edge        6     0        255    0

---

MP Config Extended Table Entries:

--

 bus ID: 0 address type: I/O address
 address base: 0x0

 bus ID: 3 address type: I/O address
 address base: 0x2000
 address range: 0x900
--

 bus ID: 0 address type: I/O address
 address base: 0x2900

 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
 address base: 0x80000000
 address range: 0x7d000000
--

 bus ID: 3 address type: memory address
 address base: 0xfd000000

 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
 address base: 0xfd010000
 address range: 0x1df0000
--

 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
 address base: 0xfef00000

 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
 address base: 0xa0000
 address range: 0x20000
--

 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
 address base: 0xd0000

 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
 address base: 0xf00000
 address range: 0x100000
--

 bus ID: 1 bus info: 0x00 parent bus ID: 0--

 bus ID: 2 bus info: 0x00 parent bus ID: 0--

 bus ID: 4 bus info: 0x00 parent bus ID: 3--

 bus ID: 5 bus info: 0x00 parent bus ID: 3--

 bus ID: 6 bus info: 0x01 parent bus ID: 0--

 bus ID: 0 address modifier: add
 predefined range: 0x00000000--

 bus ID: 0 address modifier: add
 predefined range: 0x00000001--

 bus ID: 3 address modifier: subtract
 predefined range: 0x00000000--

 bus ID: 3 address modifier: subtract
 predefined range: 0x00000001
---

# SMP kernel config file options:

# Required:
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
# Optional (built-in defaults will work in most cases):
#options                NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
#options                NBUS=7                  # number of busses
#options                NAPIC=2                 # number of IO APICs
#options                NINTR=24                # number of INTs

---

Bob Liotta
Internet Services Champion