Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 23:53:00 -0500
From:      "Predius" <predius@netzero.net>
To:        "Dan Nelson" <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Diskless USB Issue

I've played around with this a bit, and so far on my other test systems, as
long as I don't do anything beyond basic booting, ie load a mem manager,
device drivers, etc, it seems to work pretty well.  Near as I can tell the
problem I'm running up against is in the initilization of the mii section of
my nic.  As a test I tried an older Kawasaki based USB nic, which only does
10baseT, half duplex.  It's detected, gets link, and attempts to netboot.
Problem is the kawasaki chipset is flakier than all hell, so it randomly
starts timing out durring the process.  Best so far is bootp's completed,
nfs has mounted root, and it's begun to init before the nic crapped out.

I've looked at the aue driver for FreeBSD, and NetBSD, hoping I could spot a
difference, but unfortunatly the code is way over my head.  I'm pretty sure
if I can mangle it either via driver butchery or a kernel option to hardwire
it for one media setting I can get it to work, I just don't have the
expertise to do so myself.

Joshua Coombs