Date:      Wed, 04 Apr 2001 15:54:25 +1000
From:      Kremlin Vostok <kremlin@primus.com.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netscape (and others)

Hi peoples,

I have a question which has been plaguing me for a while, I've searched for
the answer everywhere I know to look, but no results.  I don't have a freebsd
system installed at home - yet, because I need windows for university.  As
soon as this semester is over, I am going to install it.  So as not to lose
too much learning time, I still participate in these newsgroups and read
on-line documentation and unix related textbooks.

My question is:

If one was to download and install netscape communicator/navigator on their
system, and ran it from a terminal that was not a X-Windows one, what would
happen? I know that the standard terminals support a mouse, so would it just
open up in fll screen mode in a terminal, or would it try and run x, and
failing that (if it was not installed) give an error message?

Oh, and say it did open without needing X-Windows, how would i open up
multiple windows of netscape.  I'm assuming one in each tty, but then how
would I know what page I was up to on which?

Many thanks, this is BUGGING me!!

kremlin vostok