Date:      Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:36:26 +0000
From:      Freminlins <freminlins@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's the easiest way to do a backup and verify?

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:56:44 +0100, Anthony Atkielski
<atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Is there an easy way to combine a backup and verify when doing backups
> with dump?

With the FreeBSD version of dump, no. You can use the L flag to ensure
a consistent dump, though this is not the same thing as verifying a
dump.

> On Windows NT it's just a matter of checking a box.  I seem to recall
> the last time I looked into this on UNIX there was no easy way to
> accomplish a verify operation for a backup, but perhaps things have
> changed with FreeBSD 5.3 (?).

Well on Solaris it is possible using the v flag.

> I've never had a problem with backup (I backup to DAT tape), but I'd
> feel better if every backup was followed by a verify to make sure the
> tape is readable.

I have always had mixed feelings about this. Although it is nice to
know the dump was correctly written, that is only valid at that time.
There is no guarantee that reading from the tape weeks later is
possible. Noone cares how good your backups are, only "I need my files
back NOW!!"

> Anthony

Frem.