Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2005 03:03:49 +0100
From:      Bruno Ducrot <ducrot@poupinou.org>
To:        Gnu_Raiz <gnu.raiz@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Z00Q Problem Tyan MB!

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 02:23:56PM -0600, Gnu_Raiz wrote:
> Hi: developers, fellow users!
>
> After reading the manual, and trying different things to get the acpi error
> message's from showing up in boot output. I have come to you for help in
> solving this problem.
>
> After doing a google search it seems that Tyan has a problem with their MB's
> and especially their acpi regarding the Z00Q errors.  It seems that many
> people have the error's I have, but after reading up on the threads, I have
> not seen a solution posted. I have seen a few people give up, but no
> solutions. I am using a Tyan Tiger MP 2460 motherboard with 2 mp 1.2 chips,
> with an smp kernel. So far I don't think that these errors are fatal, as
> others have mentioned, it just looks bad.
>
> I am running FreeBSD Raiz_mpx.midsouth.rr.com 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD
> 6.0-RELEASE #2: Sun Dec 18 17:44:34 CST 2005
> rcall@Raiz_mpx.midsouth.rr.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MPXSMPKERNEL
> i386
>
> Here is the sysctl hw.acpi information.
> -------
> hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S1 S4 S5
> hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
> hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
> hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
> hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
> hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
> hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
> hw.acpi.s4bios: 0
> hw.acpi.verbose: 1
> hw.acpi.reset_video: 1
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/0
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_usage: 100.00%
> ---------
>
> Here is the sample boot -v with acpi enabled. Of course this goes on for
> like 20 lines, If you really need all of dmesg then I would be happy to post
> the rest.
> ---------
> in  ACPI-0438: *** Error: Looking up [Z00Q] in namespace, AE_NOT_FOUND
> SearchNode 0xc2251d40 StartNode 0xc2251d40 ReturnNode 0
>     ACPI-1304: *** Error: Method execution failed
> [\\_SB_.PCI0.ISA_.SIO_.COM2._S
> TA] (Node 0xc229d0a0), AE_NOT_FOUND
>     ACPI-0438: *** Error: Looking up [Z00Q] in namespace, AE_NOT_FOUND
>     ACPI-1304: *** Error: Method execution failed
> [\\_SB_.PCI0.ISA_.SIO_.COM1._S
> ---------

A real first read of your report would suggest that something is broken
in your bios for detecting serial ports.

> If I boot with acpi disabled, I get pnp errors on one of my device's, so I
> really need to use acpi even with the error messages. I have looked in the
> bios for different options to turn on and off, but with no success. When I
> compile my .asl file I get these results.
> ------------
> Raiz_mpx# iasl rcall-TyanMP2460.asl
>
> Intel ACPI Component Architecture
> ASL Optimizing Compiler / AML Disassembler version 20041119 [Nov  3 2005]
> Copyright (C) 2000 - 2004 Intel Corporation
> Supports ACPI Specification Revision 2.0c
>
> rcall-TyanMP2460.asl  1553:                             Store (Z00Q, Local0)
> Error    1022 -                             Object does not exist ^  (Z00Q)
>
> rcall-TyanMP2460.asl  1659:                             Store (Z00Q, Local0)
> Error    1022 -                             Object does not exist ^  (Z00Q)
>
> rcall-TyanMP2460.asl  1891:                             Store (Z00Q, Local0)
> Error    1022 -                             Object does not exist ^  (Z00Q)
>
> rcall-TyanMP2460.asl  2386:     Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
> Warning  2026 -                            ^ Reserved method must return a
> value (_WAK)
>
> ASL Input:  rcall-TyanMP2460.asl - 2401 lines, 77770 bytes, 827 keywords
> Compilation complete. 3 Errors, 1 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 320 Optimizations
> Raiz_mpx#
> ------------
>
> I have looked in my .asl file but I am at a loss for what to look for, or
> how to solve my problem. I do code a little bit and going to the error lines
> I find this.
> I put in the (---->) to point to the line that the error code is in.
>

> Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
>                         {
>                             Store (Z00Q, Local0)
> (--->)                    And (Local0, 0x02, Local0)
> [...]

I can't tell much on that if I have not access to the ASL.

> (---->)   Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
>     {
>         Or (Arg0, 0xE0, Local0)
>         Store (Local0, DBG1)
>         If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x01))
>         {
>             Store (IO8E, Local1)
>             Store (Local1, PMC7)
>         }
>
>         Notify (\_SB.PWRB, 0x02)

You can add that:
	Return(Package(2) {0,0})

But there are a lot of ASL that contains this non-return statement so
far...  I think just ignoring the warning is OK.

Note that this method will be invoked only after a resume of the system.
If you don't suspend to ram I doubt it will be useful to consider to fix
the _WAK method anyway.

>     }
>
> acpi_dsdt_load="YES"
> acpi_dsdt_name="/boot/DSDT.aml"
> hw.acpi.osname="Windows 2001"  <-- is there a reason for this line?
>

> Since I do not run a web server I have no way of archiving my .asl file I
> would be more than happy to send it to anyone through e-mail. I am also not
> subscribed to the list so please cc me.

I can provide such a link if you send this file to me.

All in all, I think those errors are harmless.  There may be a
problem with your serials ports though, but if it's not the case, or
you don't need them, well I am not sure it's worth debugging any
further.

Cheers,

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.