Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2001 13:35:56 -0500
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade and XFree86-4

in message <20011225121113.A33958@klamath.local>,
wrote Julio Merino thusly...

> But there is something that annoys me. Everytime I do a portinstall
> of a port that depends on X, it registers dependancies to imake and
> XFree86-4-libraries. Then, I've to run 'pkgdb -F' to correct these
> dependancies by hand, and I make them to point to XFree86-4.
>
> Is it there any way to do this automagically?

i also have installed the XFree86-4 port.  i "solved" the same
problem by making symlinks from XFree86-4 to -libraries and imake
and anything else that would require XFree86-*.  so, now if/when i
run 'pkgdb -F', i am asked if i want to "remove any of them" due to
"duplicate origin" ... to which i say "no".

other solution my be to install individual XFree86 ports.  there was
a thread on some list about creation of XFree86-4 metaport (which
would install individual pieces instead of one big port as it is now).

 - parv