Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:45:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E1rcio_David?= <marciofdavid@hotmail.com>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD ? What kind of OS is that ?

A few random points of no particular importance...

First, if you really do hate the login prompt so badly then you might stop
reading here.

On 21-Jun-01 Andrew C. Hornback wrote:
>    Okay, first off, do NOT send HTMLized e-mail to the list.  That's extremely
> bad form and it's generally enough to get you shot on sight (with a water
> gun, rubber band or can of silly string).

True, very true.

>       Second of all, from your original message (which I missed), since you do
> not like the idea of a login prompt and have had such trouble with Linux in
> the past... I doubt that you would be ready for the world of FreeBSD.  Linux
> makes a good starting point in the world of OpenSource Unices... but once
> you get over the cuteness of Tux and the idea that you're doing something
> "elite", FreeBSD is where you would come to actually discover what a great
> operating system is.

I installed FreeBSD for the fun of it. At the time I did not know that it was
unixlike even. Just another thing to try. It took me a while to acquaint me with
it but I find it immensly more easy to grasp than Linux. I have made two
installs of linux in the past, none of them came out right. And even when it is
installed OK, I can't really find my way around in the system. I really think
FreeBSD has a simpler layout.

I would only recommend Linux to someone who definately NEEDS it. You can't run
Quake 3 Arena on FreeBSD:(

>       Thirdly, as far as graphical interfaces go, you don't have to use one.
In
> fact, you can get rid of XFree and go on about your business in command line
> mode without a problem.  But, given that you've been working with nothing
> but GUI-type OSes, I doubt you'd survive very long in a command line driven
> atmosphere.

Do try to learn using the command line! It is so much more powerful. I sure does
not look as cool as a GUI but you really can do wonders with it. I use XFree all
the time but mostly just to be able to have several (tens of'em) shells open at
the same time.

>       Fourth, if you're just looking for an OS to install and play with just to
> say that you have experience with it, you're going about it all wrong.  Go
> to your search engine of choice and have fun running searches.  I'm sure
> there are a few more out there than you've been able to uncover.
>
>     My fifth comment is that I have OS/2 on one of my machines, and I use it on
> occasion.  (And no, you may NOT have a copy of it!).  OS/2 is slowly moving
> into the category of the legacy OS, as everyone and their dog has bought
> into the Microsoft marketing machine's thinking that you simply cannot have
> a company that works and runs properly without having at least some sort of
> Microsoft product involved.  Are you sure that you like OS/2 without ever
> having used it?  This makes me wonder...

When I stopped using OS/2 (in favour of FreeBSD) the only thing I really missed
was the Workplace Shell. It is the smoothest GUI I have ever seen. I really,
really, REALLY wish someone would try to make a clone of it for FreeBSD. In the
mean time I will stick to icewm for an OS/2 look.

>     Maybe it's my interpretation of your English (which I'm sure is better than
> my attempts at communicating in your native tongue would be), but if you're
> not wanting to install or use a Unix-like OS (which would be the
> classification that FreeBSD falls under), why are you here?  Additionally,
> if you're always going to "go back to Windows", why should you even try
> something that would be different?  If you were satisfied with how Windows
> performed on your hardware, you wouldn't be looking elsewhere, or so I would
> be inclined to believe.
>
>       Finally, if you really do love to program in BASIC, as you comment,
might I
> recommend something along the lines of a TRS-80 Color Computer 2 or a
> Timex/Sinclair 1000?  Those would be much more up your alley than a full
> blown PC.

ZX Spectrum rulez!

/M