Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:04:52 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP

In message <15299.859406381@time.cdrom.com> "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
: > Well, I did have OpenBSD in mind.  Right now they update their copy of
: > FreeBSD source tree with sup (they get the CVS tree).  They are a
: > little upset that sup has gone away w/o an announcement of that fact,
: > but in an organization like this, that can't be helped.
:
: We never announced the day that sup died, it is true, but it's also
: true that we announced its impending demise for months before finally
: pulling the plug.  It hardly happened in secret, and it's more the
: case here that a lot of people simply never stopped using the
: "backwards-compatibility" sup server we provided on spatter, one which
: we threatened might go away at any time and was only hastened on its
: way by spatter's untimely demise.

I understand that.  It might have been nice to give warning.  However,
I do understand how a volunteer organization works and am not too
upset.

: > That's true.  I just wanna know what the most supported way is at the
: > moment.  I don't have a problem switching to something else as long as
:
: CVSup and CTM, that's basically it.  The FTP site is also updated once
: a day, so if people just want to mirror the CVS tree and check
: whatever they like out of it, that's always been an option (since we
: opened up the CVS repo, anyway).

Hmmm, hand't thought of the ftp site option.  Which machine is this?
If it isn't freefall, then this would be an option, since OpenBSD been
getting updated once a day.

Warner