Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 2009 15:07:40 +0200
From:      Nikolay Denev <ndenev@gmail.com>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't use gpt labels re-importing pool

On Nov 26, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Ivan Voras wrote:

> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>=20
>> Why are people bothering with GPT labels (or in some cases, glabels)
>> when AHCI (whether it be ataahci.ko or ahci.ko) is in use?  Under =
what
>> circumstance would the device name change dynamically in this =
situation?
>> I've never witnessed this happening with AHCI, at least on Intel
>> systems, and I've hot-swapped hard disks many times over.
>=20
> It isn't specific to AHCI, but this is where most people encountered =
it first. The issue in question is "how to make ZFS survive drive =
renaming" for any cause - driver change, controller change, drive =
shuffling, etc.
>=20
> In general, ZFS will taste individual drives on "zpool import" so will =
try to do the right thing, but it might pick up different labels for =
different drives, etc. Using glabel tricks simply makes the naming a bit =
more consistent.
>=20
>=20

What about "zpool import -d /dev/gpt/" ?
Though last time I tried this it refused to work for some reason.=20

Regards,
Niki Denev