Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:36:05 -0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
From:      Charlie Watts <cewatts@frontier.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Filesystem missing space?

I've got a missing-space problem that is puzzling me.

These don't line up:

# df -h | grep usr
/dev/da0s1e         2.9G   2.7G  -5.5M   100%    /usr

# du -h /usr
580M    /usr

Doing an `lsof /usr` doesn't show any open files in /usr that I don't
expect. (Bunch of libraries open, mostly.)

I've killed almost everything on the system and restarted it, thinking
that perhaps a large file was open but had been unlinked.

I'm about to try re-booting the box and fsck'ing the disk.

I deleted most everything in /usr/ports, which made a several-hundred MB
difference in the "du" total, but only made a ~ 50MB difference in the
"df" total.

softupdates -is- on.

Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

The box has been up for a few months with no problems. I've been having
some problems with Mailman today, though ... had a bunch of copies of it
running with a bunch of locks open. I deleted the 0-byte lockfiles before
I killed the programs. Are there any softupdates+lock related problems, or
should I be looking elsewhere?

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net