Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:30:12 -0400
From:      Chris Ptacek <cptacek@sitaranetworks.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Loading the system from a nonstandard (not s1a) partition?

I am wondering if it is possible to load the system from a non-standard (not
s1a) partition.  I am working on a system that has an existing disk layout
with a s1g partition that I would like to turn into a recovery/backup
partition (in case of corruption).  I have created a small base system on
the partition (tar up an existing minimum install, plus tools), but am
unable to boot from it by selecting the s1g partition from the boot loader
prompt.  I wanted to know if this is possible, if so what steps do I need to
take to make the partition bootable.

  Thanks,
     Chris