Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2018 16:35:44 +0200
From:      Gerhard Schmidt <estartu@ze.tum.de>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No Extended Support Version right now?

Am 09.08.2018 um 13:41 schrieb Steve O'Hara-Smith:
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 09:48:19 +0200
> Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately it seems "extended support" is gone, so no further release
>> (11.x or whatever) will be such.
>
> 	Given that 11 will last five years and it is likely that 11.<last>
> will come out well within that period I would say than N.<last> is as LTS
> as it gets.

No it's not because you have to do minor updates roughly every year.
Every update brings new features and changes in the system. So you have
to go thru all the tests that a major update causes. There is just no
ABI change so you don't have to recompile every installed software.

LTS means that you don't have to do all the testing before installing
updates because there should no changes in features or how the system
does things, only security problems are fixed.

Regards
   Estartu