Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:03:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        karl@Mcs.Net (Karl Denninger)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU, gpalmer@FreeBSD.org, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, current@FreeBSD.org, scrappy@ki.net
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

> > > What about my users who thank me for *NOT* doing this, because
> > > they find Elm's options too confusing?
> >
> > I can't believe elm is still that popular (even though it's *my* personal
> > favorite).  I have to say this has got to be a reductio ad absurdum
> > argument -- a straw man.  It's possible to test the failure case during
> > config by compiling up a small test program.
>
> ELM is incredibly popular.  About half our user base prefers it, and we
> have a LARGE user base.
>
> If I break something in elm on our ISP, I hear about it in minutes if not
> faster.  Then again, its *MY* preferred user agent as well.

I am not suggesting anything which would break elm.  I am suggesting
that the appeal to "my users who thank me for *NOT* doing this" is a
strawman.  If done correctly, the user never sees the process.

I think it is generally agreed that users complain when things break,
and remain silent when things work.  If they didn't we would have to
pick a strategy other than 'making things work' to reduce the amount
of phone traffic we have to hire people to handle.

I have *never*, in 12 years, gotten a support call over something working.

YMMV.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---