Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2017 22:01:32 +0100
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: PCI speed

> On 3 Mar 2017, at 23:52, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>=20
> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 3:34 PM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik
> <dirkx@webweaving.org> wrote:
>> Forgive me my ignorance - but for some cards - pciconf(8) nicely =
lists the speed of the bus:
>>=20
>>> ciss0@pci0:12:0:0:      class=3D0x010400 card=3D0x3243103c =
chip=3D0x323a103c rev=3D0x01 hdr=3D0x00
>>>   cap 10[70] =3D PCI-Express 2 endpoint max data 128(256) RO NS
>>>                link x4(x8) speed 5.0(5.0)
>>=20
>> and that matches exactly with what it is. While for other cards it =
does not seem to report that:
>=20
> So you have a x8 card in a x4 slot. Hope that's OK. It's also
> reporting errors on the PCIe link level. That doesn't sound too
> correct.

It ended up being quite a rat-hole - further examination showed that =
some on motherboard soldered P410 and NC382i ethernets where reporting =
just as oddly!

>>> mpt4@pci0:7:8:1:        class=3D0x010000 card=3D0x10b01000 =
chip=3D0x00301000 rev=3D0x08 hdr=3D0x00
>>>   cap 07[68] =3D PCI-X 64-bit supports 133MHz, 2048 burst read, 8 =
split transactions
>>=20
>> and in fact seems to mis report the bus - this is a  PCIe Gen 2 x4 =
bus with a x8 Connector Width
>> holding  a LSI 22320SE Ultra320 SCSI dual channel PCIe X4 card.
>=20
>> How should one interpret this ?
>=20
> That's odd. I'd have expected it to report correctly... It does for us =
at work.
> What version of FreeBSD?

FreeBSD 11.0 - p7. The HW are fairly plain DL385 G7 and G8 frames with =
AMD cpu's and two risers (One bus x8, connector 16 and two x4bus and x8 =
connector). Two hold an P410i/2048MB cards; two P222/512Mb cards and one =
LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 Adapter.

We've since looked at multiple DL385's and found the results to be a =
total mess; with reports even differing between the first boot after a =
hard power cycle and the next boot(s). Googling & Escalation within HPE =
suggests that it is one large firmware mess with conflicting reports =
(P2222 cards clashing with the Qlogic needs).=20

So I guess this is a rathole best left closed. Old HP kit is essentially =
not worth it anymore given their serial#/paid-support burden.

Dw.