Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:36:09 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Subject:   Re: 5-STABLE softupdates issue?

Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org> writes:

> I wonder if this points to dependencies not being pushed out of the
> buffer/cache correctly.

So do I. Is there a good way to debug this, i. e. more systematic than
just trying to trash the FS and see if fsck can recover?

> That said, I rarely, if ever, see softupdate
> problems on my SCSI development systems, but that might just be
> coincidence.

I posted about softupdate problems on a SCSI system with DISABLED WRITE
CACHE, on a somewhat flakey Micropolis drive that froze and caused
massive ffs+softupdates corruption in February 2004 (on FreeBSD 4
though), see <URL:http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?m38yj15m59.fsf>;
for the archived post, including logs.

So that makes two for me and some more for Dan.

--
Matthias Andree