Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 14:26:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Craig Shaver" <craig@seabass.progroup.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail default permissions?? and anon!

> > > I thought /var/mail was supposed to be mode 1777 on BSD systems??
> > >
> > > mail.local was designed to work in that scenario and has specific code to make
> > > sure it's secure.. (granted, the net-2 mail.local may not have been solid, but
> > > the 4.4BSD mail.local has been secure since the encumbered release and later
> > > in the Lite releases)
> >
> > login: fred
> > passord:
> > %
> > % ls -l /var/mail/peter
> > % ls: /var/mail/peter: No such file or directory
> > % cat > /var/mail/peter
> >

> That was the end of Terry's message.
>
> Did this totally confuse anyone elses mailer?  I see these two
> messages in elm:
>
> >     1   Apr 10 Bite Me            (13)   Ha ha
> >     2   Apr 10 Terry Lambert      (41)   Re: /var/mail default permissions??
>
> and have this in my in box:
>
> > From dufault Wed Apr 10 07:34:25 1996
> > From: anon@anon (Bite Me)
> > Subject: Ha ha
> >
> > Don't you wish you could do something about your mail...  give
> > Fred $5 and he'll unlock it for you.
> >
> > 					-- Anon
> >
> > ^D
> > % exit
>
> which threw me for a loop a minute.  I don't think this is what
> Terry was showing us.

No, I got the same message from anon@anon.  I think someone who has
access to the mailing lists has used the addresses there to connect
directly to the smtp port and type in a prank mail message.  This
message has none of the standard routing information and does not
have a full header.  It did not show up in any of my log files.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088