Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 08:54:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Genquan Xu <gxu@engr.csulb.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Disk Utilities(add new HDD)

Greg Lehey:

	First, I like to thank you to take so many time to help me out,
and it is a good news that I mount the disk(mount /dev/wd1c /u1). I
probably will do again by your suggestion of the disktab.

> Have a look at the discussion of block and character devices in
> "Installing FreeBSD" (from Walnut Creek).  /dev/rwd1c is a character
> device, and as the message says, you need a block device.  The
> corresponding block device *would* be /dev/wd1c, but that's the whole
> disk, not a file system.  What you want is typically something like
> 'mount /dev/wd1a', but from what you show below, that won't be enough.
> Did you get hold of the document and read it?  What part didn't you
> understand?
	I got the document and read it yesterday. I probably need to look
the documanet you recomend " Installing FreeBSD" and the document you
suggested.

> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
> >   a:   237568        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -761*)
> >   b:   237568        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -761*)
> >   c:   237568        0    4.2BSD      512  4096     0   # (Cyl.    0 -761*)
> >   d:   237568        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -761*)
> >   e:   237568        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -761*)
> >   g:   237568        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -761*)
> >   h:   237568        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -761*)

The reason that I keep the table above is that I added a disk for SUNos
when I partition the HDD the table is still there. I was thinking about
yesterday to delete the empity line, and also I use c that on
/etc/disktable says that( #c use the whole disk). I am confused about that
line, so I keep them all.

> You shouldn't make partition c a file system.  /dev/[r]wd1c is the
>whole disk, and can't be used for a file system.  If you really want
> to use the whole disk for a file system, you still need to define an
> additional partition, say, 'a'.  Change the line above to:
>
> >   a:   237566        2    4.2BSD        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -761*)
> >   c:   237568        0    unused      512  4096     0   # (Cyl.    0 -761*)
>
> In addition, you should remove the other partition definitions.  They
> probably won't hurt if you leave them in, but it's untidy to have
> overlapping partitions (with the exception of c), and it's a potential
> time bomb.
>
> I'm being cautious with starting partition a at offset 2: that way,
> you can be sure that you don't overwrite the disk label and
bootstrap
> sectors.  It's possible that somebody will raise his hand and say
> "Hey, you don't need to do that, the system does it automagically",
> but I have never had absolute confirmation.
>
> Then you do:
>
> # newfs /dev/rwd1a
> # mount /dev/wd1a /u1
Thank you again!