Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:50:42 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-connect.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Fast Encryption (in kernel) seeked

On Tuesday, 16th September 1997, Simon Shapiro wrote:

>I have a specific integer (actually a pointer to a structure) which, for
>performance reasons, I want exported to userspace.  What happens with this
>pointer is that sometimes later it comes back to the kernel.
>
>I want a QUICK was to encrypt it so that a melicious user cannot send a bad
>address into the kernel.

>If this sounds like harebrain idea, it probably is :-)

No need for me to go on about it, since you've admitted it. ;-)

I'm sure that encryption would just be hand waving and hoping.  I don't think
it would add any value.  Picking a real random number (from the /dev/random
module) and using that as an index might work.

But really I think you should give us more details to work on.  More than
likely you don't have to do what you want to do.  Give us the wider picture,
and a clean answer is likely to result.

Stephen.