Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:13:05 +0100 (CET)
From:      roberto@redix.it
To:        "Nigel Houghton" <nigel@sourcefire.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about securelevel

> Change the "console" line in /etc/ttys from "secure" to "insecure", that
> will make your administrator enter the root password when booting to
> single user.
>
> When using securelevel, you might also want to use a script to set the
> immutable flag on various parts of the file system.
>
> There's also much more to securing a box than just using securelevel.

1- OK I've already set console to insecure, I do not like the single user
mode offer a shell without password.

2- But instead of set the immutable flags over several files, seems to me
more simple (and not error prone) to set the root file system read-only
(simple to do) and to find a way it could not be remounted rw while
securelevel == 3!

3- OK agree with you: there's also much more to securing a box than just
using securelevel, but using a securelevel+readonly file system, is a step
foreward in security?

Regards
Roberto