Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 13:58:58 -0500
From:      peter@nmti.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gritching about XFree86 and serial port naming

I'm helping a bloke here set up FreeBSD, and man the serial ports are hard
to explain.

Why, oh why, is the CU device for "ttyd0" called "cuaa0" instead of "cuad0"?
Or making it ttya0?

I understand that going to alpha names makes some sense, but it really doesn't
look good when they're so inconsistent. The old names had the virtue of
making sense "oh, sio is the serial I/O driver...".

For 2.1, can we go back to at least making the tty and cua devices have the
same identifiers?

Oh yeh, the docs should have something in big bold letters about linking
/dev/mouse to /dev/cuaa0 under whatever name it ends up as...