Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:13:43 -0600
From:      Mark Nipper <nipsy@tamu.edu>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH_3.5p1 FreeBSD-20030201 crash

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 04:36:44PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Mark Nipper <nipsy@tamu.edu> writes:
> > 	The error was:
> > ---
> > corrupted mac on input
> >
> > as I said in my original post.
>
> You didn't say anything about what program prints the error message,
> or under what conditions.  Neither did you explain what you meant by
> "crash", which I normally take to mean "the machine rebooted".  I also
> don't understand what your brand of network interface has to do with
> any of this.
>
> To summarize, give more details and take care not to mix up unrelated
> matters.

	Well, the error was nothing more than what I've already
said, and this appeared as the last bit of output in an ssh
session to another host, afterwards I only had my local prompt.
I was running tcpdump at the time on the remote side, so it was a
pretty active connection.  Frankly, I'm not sure what the effect
this has when running a traffic analysis of any kind remotely,
but obviously it generates more traffic, which was the whole
reason I was doing it in the first place!

	I mention the fxp interface, because people have
mentioned some weird crashes/reboots recently on the list and
I've been experiencing them myself on the remote machine to which
the ssh session died in the first place.  The post of it on this
list had mentioned heavy use of tcpdump and trafshow, just
anything to put the card in promiscuous mode.  I don't even
really have any hard data to think it's related, but I thought
I'd mention it at the very lest.

	Searching deja.com, I found a few scant references to the
"corrupted mac" error and OpenSSH, but it all seemed to be
~3.[01]" era information for OpenSSH and certainly nothing as
recent as OpenSSH-3.5p1.

	So, while I apologize for the lack of real data, it
doesn't seem to be a common problem, and I'm not entirely sure
that the problems are in fact, unrelated.  I'm beginning to think
my hardware just needs to be thrown out the window and replaced
in full.

--
Mark Nipper                                                e-contacts:
Computing and Information Services                      nipsy@tamu.edu

---begin random quote of the moment---
"Linux does not solve all the problems. But we are working on it."
 -- Alan Cox
----end random quote of the moment----