Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 09:30:14 -0400
From:      James Love <love@cptech.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, dmorrisn <dmorrisn@u.washington.edu>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

Allow me to offer a few comments on the FreeBSD/Linux thing.  First, we
plan to test a FreeBSD machine in our office.  We initially planed to
test Linux/FreeBSD/BeOS all at once, but it became clear this was a bit
much, given my time and the available hardware, so it is taking some
time.

Second, I think it is quite possibly the case the the rise of a linux as
an alternative is a story that users can understand better than the rise
of 3 or 4 alternatives.  As a first step, it is important to make people
understand that MS isn't the only option.

Third, I would imagine if people can learn to use Linux (not that simple
for Windows users, it seems to me), then it is far far easier to try
FreeBSD, which basically works the same way.  I use a FreeBSD manual to
figure out how to do a lot of things in Linux right now.  Speaking as a
user and not an advocate for a moment, I find the learning for one
platform pretty useful for the other. Maybe this is why Sun is
supporting Linux, even while it wants to sell Solaris.

Fourth, I think many Linux users are supportive of FreeBSD and rather
agonistic about the licensing issues.    Probably a minority of users
(but a majority of advocates) care a lot about the licensing issues.

   Jamie Love

--
James Love
Consumer Project on Technology