Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:55:22 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD hacker 101

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:25:16 -0800 (PST) KAYVEN  RIESE <kayve@sfsu.edu> wrote:

> Aren't the ports collection something that makes freeBSD stand out
> very differently than linux?  also, no rpm, and the pkg_add utility.
> updating operating system with cvsup?  buildworld?  all these things
> are different starkly, or are they not?

GNU/Linux isn't tied to rpm's; there are other packaging systems in
use by different distros, including at least one that is based on the
BSD ports system.

But you've touched on one crucial difference:

A GNU/Linux distribution is lots of software from various authors that
the creators of the distro have put together to make a system (to be
fair, the creators of the distro may have contributed software as
well, like rpm). So everything is in the package system, and the line
between "critical system software" and "add on packages" is blurred,
Meaning it's not clear what you can update independently without
breaking the OS (well, not to me, anyway).

A BSD distribution is a complete operating system in and of itself -
the base system. It *includes* a package system for dealing with "add
on packages." You can update the add on software independently without
breaking the base system. You are expected to update the base system
as a whole, and doing otherwise is unsupported.

I'm not sure how relevant this is to what the OP was asking about,
though.

	<miks