Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 2003 05:56:14 -0400
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        Rob <polkrl@bellsouth.net>, liuyang99@earthlink.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trouble with kernel

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:27:28 -0500, Rob <polkrl@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf && ee GENERIC
> now just add the device like so
> device	pcm
> then Esc and save
> then cd /usr/src/ && make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
>
> after its done building:
> make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
>
> now shutdown -r now
>
> Hope this helps
> Rob

Rather than editing GENERIC, you may want to copy GENERIC and rename the
copy (KERN[DATE] or KERNEL[DATE] are possibilities; I'm sure you can think
of more), then edit, build and install the renamed version.  Though
problems are very unlikely to occur just from adding "device pcm," if at
some point in the future an edited kernel doesn't build or install
correctly, you then have the unchanged GENERIC to fall back on.

Jud