Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:04:04 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        Olli Hauer <ohauer@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.1-PRE: updating of pkg-1.0.3 -> pkg-1.0.4 fails

--oLBj+sq0vYjzfsbl

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 10:39:00PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Am 12/28/12 15:01, schrieb Olli Hauer:
> > On 2012-12-28 14:45, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> >> Last time I update ports on my latop was on Dec 20th. Everything went
> >> well. Today I grabbed the laptop again, made an update of the ports tr=
ee
> >> and try running portmaster.
> >>
> >> The laptop is running FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE #142 r244377: Tue Dec 18
> >> 07:29:18 CET 2012.
> >>
> >> The update of pkgng is the first in line to be updated, but it fails as
> >> you can see below. I do not understand the recommendations, since I use
> >> USE_PKGNG=3Dyes on that box without problems for a couple of weeks now.
> >>
> >> I then downloaded the new pkg-1.0.4 sources manually and did a manula
> >> update jumping into ports-mgmt/pkg; make reinstall.
> >>
> >> This worked, but leaves the record in the pkg-db still on 1.0.3, so any
> >> further portmaster attempt will end in installing the update of pkg
> >> first, which ends up in the nasty message below.
> >>
> >> I can not see this behaviour on any FreeBSD 10.0 box I have around!
> >>
> >> What is wrong here?
> >>
> >> Oliver
> >>
> >> [...]
> >> =3D=3D=3D>  Cleaning for pkg-1.0.4_1
> >> You are about to convert your system to pkgng while you have ports/pac=
kages
> >> installed with the old pkg_install tools.
> >>
> >> You can choose to:
> >> - keep pkg_install as the package management system by adding this line
> >> to /etc/make.conf:
> >>
> >>     WITHOUT_PKGNG=3Dyes
> >>
> >> - switch to pkgng:
> >>     1) Add WITHOUT_PKGNG to /etc/make.conf
> >>     2) Install ports-mgmt/pkg
> >>     3) Convert your package database by running pkg2ng
> >>     4) Remove WITHOUT_PKGNG from /etc/make.conf
> >>
> >> *** [pre-everything] Error code 1
> >>
> >> Stop in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg.
> >>
> >> =3D=3D=3D>>> make failed for ports-mgmt/pkg
> >> =3D=3D=3D>>> Aborting update
> >>
> >> =3D=3D=3D>>> Update for pkg-1.0.3_1 failed
> >> =3D=3D=3D>>> Aborting update
> >>
> >> Terminated
> >>
> >> =3D=3D=3D>>> You can restart from the point of failure with this comma=
nd line:
> >>        portmaster <flags> ports-mgmt/pkg devel/pkgconf
> >=20
> > Hm, can you look into the directory /var/db/pkg and check there a no le=
ftovers from the old pkg tools (directories).
> > If there are any old directories the pre-everything target will be exec=
uted and you see this failure.
> > What gives the command pkg_info as output?
> >=20
> > --
> > Regards,
> > olli
> >=20
>=20
> portmaster installs for each port still a directory in /var/db/pkg - so
> there are plenty of directories.
>=20
> I deleted them all and tried again - this time the update worked.
>=20
> This is very strange and seems to be unlogical.
>=20
> Oliver
>=20

Some of them were not only portmaster distfiles. Some where leftovers from =
your
conversion, (the ones with +CONTENTS in them) given that iirc you are now u=
sing
pkgng for long, I guess, that it doesn't matter at all, and the left overs =
were
"fixed" by your regular updates.

regards,
Bapt