Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:30:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kevin Schmidt <kps@ucsb.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with sshd via inetd

Just curious if I've gotten my box in an unusual state or if this
is a problem others are seeing:

I did a cvsup earlier today, buildworld, buildkernel, single-user
installworld, and reboot.  My sshd starts out of inetd (yes, I know
that adds a little performance hit on connect).

From inetd.conf:
ssh    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/sshd  sshd -i

box-ttyp0% uname -a
FreeBSD box.ucsb.edu 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #2: Mon Feb 12 13:09:38 PST 2001     root@box.ucsb.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BOX  i386

The problem is, slogins from a host of similar cvsup date fail as
follows:
otherhost-ttyp0% slogin box
 2f 65 74 63 2f 73 73 68
Disconnecting: Bad packet length 795178083.

Another person reported identical connection failures when trying
an slogin from a RedHat 7.0 box with OpenSSH 2.3.0p1.  An slogin
from an old FBSD 3.5 box worked, even with sshd starting out of
inetd.

Making sshd standalone resolves the issue, but that's a workaround,
and doesn't seem like a Good Thing.  I'm also seeing a problem
with my stunnel-wrapped imapd, but I haven't determined if it's
a related problem.  If it is related, life gets much uglier since
the imapd doesn't want to run standalone.

Is anyone else seeing this, and if so, is there a proper solution?

Thanks,

Kevin Schmidt                                kps@ucsb.edu
Campus Network Programmer                    (805) 893-7779
Engineering Computing Infrastructure         (805) 893-8553 FAX
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106