Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:54:54 +0000
From:      imacamper@citlink.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA Modes & Kernel Config

I have a pentium 133 running FBSD 4.8.  In this system I have three ide
disks, ad0, ad1, & ad2.  ad0 is a 850 mb drive and contains the root.  ad2
is a 4 GB drive and contains the usr.  ad1 is unused.  ad0 and ad1 are on
the primary ide and are master and slave, respectively.  ad2 is the master
on the secondary ide.

Recently, the power supply failed so I replaced it.  While I had the box
open, I pulled the 10 mb Linksys network cards that used the ed driver and
replaced them with NetGear 10/100 cards that use the dc driver.

Because my kernel was only compiled with the ed driver, the netgear cards
were not recognized.  So I booted with a 4.4 GENERIC kernel I had on the
system and then edited my kernel conf and rebuilt my kernel.

Before, ad0, ad1, and ad2 were all seen as BIOSPIO during boot.  Now when
the system boots, ad0 and ad1 are seen as PIO3 and are OK.  However, when
it's probing ad2 the bus resets then ad2 is seen as WDMA2. Then the bus
resets two more times and the kernel panics with a trap '12'.

I have since updated my source and rebuilt world and kernel by booting from
both the 4.4 GENERIC kernel and my original 4.8 kernel.  I have even tried
building the GENERIC 4.8 kernel.  However any kernel except the 4.4 GENERIC
or my original 4.8 with ed support has the problem described above.

Any ideas on how I can get my system running again would be greatly
appreciated.  Please cc me at this address as I am not receiving the list
due to this problem.

Thanks for your help!!!

Drew