Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2003 22:15:53 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade -- revisited

On Sunday 02 March 2003 08:55 pm, Roger Merritt wrote:
> At 05:15 AM 3/3/03, Kent Stewart wrote:
> ><snip>
> >What portupgrade options are you using? When you do "-r", you have
> > to force "-f".
>
> Very interesting. Where is that documented? I just did a quick read
> through the portupgrade man page and don't see anything about it. I
> believe you, and I'm going to try it on my libxml2, which has refused
> to build for about six weeks now, but this is one of the things that
> has made me disenchanted with portupgrade. That, and things like
> 'portsdb -Uu'.

You have to live with the -uU. INDEX isn't updated very often and if you
don't cvsup right after it is, it won't have the current requirements.
If you use portupgrade and the other tools, you have to update
INDEX.db. If you refuse or don't cvsup ports-all, the "make index"
probably won't work properly to begin with. Some days, portsdb -U won't
work and you have to use "make index". Regardless of which method you
use, you always have to run "portsdb -u" after you have updated INDEX.

Since I always recreate INDEX and INDEX.db, I have refused ports/INDEX.
There isn't any point in downloading a new copy and then destroying it
with the new version.

I looked at your other email. Libxml2 has requirements and I think your
are out of date. The latest portupgrade does wonderful things. I would
start by upgrading it to portupgrade-20030228 first. It has fixed the
requirement for the pkgdb -F being run unless they tell you to.

If you want to see if it will work, run "portupgrade -Ruf libxml2". That
won't take very long. You have to build everything that uses it if it
works and that is the -r option. If you do both at the same time, it
will be hours until they finish.

I don't know which is the best list. I start out with the maintainer but
I really don't believe there is anything wrong with libxml2. I found a
problem making libxslt package and marcus@ fixed it right away. Since
then, it has been upgraded on my 4 main machines.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA