Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:48:41 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing 'man' to check alternate destination for 'cat' pages

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:21:00AM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <20011213101401.C77774@sunbay.com> Ruslan Ermilov writes:
> : Sorry, but I don't quite understand what are you looking at.
> : We already have a manpath(1) facility, that could be used
> : to configure alternate manual pathes.  Is that not sufficient?
>
> I wondered this myself...  I just assumed that man put the cached
> version in the same path it found the original, with the last man
> translated to cat.

Yes, exactly how it works.

> : What's the goal of doing this?  I missed the original thread.
>
> Make it possible to have a read only /usr and still cache man pages.

That sounds like a good idea to me.  But: cat pages are optional,
their appearence is an optimization only, and you can have them
(already) installed during installworld, or not have them at all.

An alternate solution would be to symlink cat? to somewhere else,
but that's probably not a good idea, see PR bin/32791.

> However, CPU time is so cheap that we should install the CAT versions
> or run catman at the end of installworld.  I know that NetBSD and
> OpenBSD both build and install the cat pages.

Exactly my thoughs, and that's why I have MANBUILDCAT=YES in my
/etc/make.conf.  :-)

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,