Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:28:25 -0300
From:      Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: redundancy

I apologize for private-answering this, Sue. It was my mistake.

Let's get this back to the list, since it's where it belongs to.

At 03:24 AM 3/23/98 +1100, you wrote:

>> >Is anyone else interested in helping too?
>>

>> Count on me. I've been lookinbg for something like that. I can't code but I
>> feel I can help "tranlating" technichese to english we can understamd.
>
>That's the spirit! :-)
>There's a few ways to do it:
>
>You could write to freebsd-doc@freebsd.org and tell them what you can do and
>that you're available. Tell them you're not a member of freebsd-doc and
>they'll make sure you get your replies by email.
>
>You could rely on anyone who visits freebsd-newbies to point you to people
>who want help, but that would be slower. I'm not sure whether it'll work out
>that way, and I'm hoping that the rest of -newbies will discuss it a bit to
>decide if that's a good method. Actually, I'm hoping that everyone will
>discuss everything! It's about time newbies started being allowed to make
>their own decisions as a group, sharing ideas. Yes I know, everyone's still
>a bit shy for a while.
>
>You could start reading almost any of the stuff listed on
>http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html and giving feedback. If you do, it'd be
>nice if you could let the other newbies know you're doing it so that they'll
>know that the work is being spread around.

I feel we all can contribute dong this, but we need to be organized ! We
can't just say "I'm doing this !" and that's it.

I feel we could first put our goals and ideas toghether, pick up a couple
of our volunteers, and then offer our help to freebsd-doc. Working for the
FreeBSD is great, but doing things w/o organization my not help at all.

Counting with FreeBSD "blessing" in important and may be a lot more
productive than trying it by ourselves.

In short: 	put ideas on the "paper"
		see if those ideas were put on "paper" (man, FAQs, etd)
		find a couple of budies to be responsible for this job (newbies)
		talk to the advanced guys ionvolved and discuss ideas with them
		once ideas are equalized, start reading, writting and publishing

>> I suggest we look for ppl involved with documantatios project and ask/offer
>> our efforts.
>
>Of course you're only suggesting that to me in private mail, so it's
>private. If you feel like it, you could say so on freebsd-newbies so that
>others can use your idea too.

Well, not in PVT anymore !

>> (Sometimes I feel that the free's HP shuld include some information like
>> "free help wanted: we are looking for ppl who can bla bla bla..." so that
>> we could actualy know where we can - or not - be of any use.)
>
>It's going to take everyone a little time to get used to having newbies
>around (even for us!).

I think it will be fast. One can't make an operating system - or any other
program - and imagine that only experts will like/join it.

All in all, nwebies are the real stranght of FreeBSD, because they are the
ones who spread the idea.

>When our group is more together it'll be easy to invite someone to come in
>and ask us whenever help is needed with something, if that's the way
>everyone wants to do it.

Meanwhile we can get toghether, show that we may be newbies, but it does
not mean we're not intelligent an capable, and kindly do something useful
to ourselves and to newcomers ! What a wonderful way to show that something
works and is important, huh ?

> We can do some things without waiting for that, so
>we have to find out what we want to help with and what we want to do by
>ourselves. I'm very reluctant to make any decisions for all newbies based on
>one person's ideas, especially if they're my ideas, so we all need to chat
>about it on the mailing list.

Kay, people. It's time to get organized ! Stop talking about things ( not
being redundant) and set up our "Wish list" for a "Welcome newbie" stuff.

This is the written side of the story; There is also the FUG side suggested
by KapuT, but I'd better stay woth the written side: Ain't got no time to
get togheter :(

Ideas ? Suggestion ?