Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2006 01:26:50 -0500
From:      "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        "Daniel A." <alive@dienub.org>
Cc:        Allen <slackwarewolf@comcast.net>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Record Uptimes

On 6/8/06, Daniel A. <alive@dienub.org> wrote:

> Oh man, speaking of power outages. I get them a lot here. I think my
> file system/hard drive/other hardware has gone corrupt because that.
> Whenever I get into bed, I know for certain that my system will either
> A) Crash (Because of the failures) or
> B) Lose power and stay shut down for the rest of the night.
>
> Funny how it always happpens exactly an hour after I leave the house or
> fall asleep.
> And it's really frustrating, you know.  Knowing that I cant trust my
> system staying up while I'm writing this email, because all the power
> outages have damaged my hardware.
>
> I live in a country with a really good infrastructure, no extreme
> conditions or weather whatsoever. So what causes the power outages?
> Unlike you guys, my power outages are caused by the people I live with.
> Yeah. They cause shorts all the time.

Shorts?... Real power shorts or just tripping the circuit breaker
because they overloaded the circuit? Is this a house? If you have a
free slot in your breaker box install a new 20A circuit and run it to
your office area. Then buy some active PFC power supplies for your
computers, this will protect them from over/under voltages as well as
other power conditions that damage your equipment. It wouldn't hurt to
get a line interactive, or online, UPS system and a whole house surge
protection device too.

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/