Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 97 11:51:02 GMT
From:      David Alan Gilbert <gilbertd@cs.man.ac.uk>
To:        gilbertd@cs.man.ac.uk, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Medium errors

> > 1) Can someone explain to me what the Sun is doing with defect
> >    lists? How do I look at the 'manufacturers defect list' on
> >    FreeBSD - and what does it affect?
>
> There's a script now, in src/tools/tools/scsi-defects/scsi-defects.pl,
> courtesy Peter Dufault.  Be warned, it hung my Fujitsu drive at work,
> but seems to run well on a variety of drives.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear; I want to understand more about the
way defect lists are stored and processed. In Ye'olde MFM drive it was the
OS which used the defect list while working on the drive; now I presume its
the drives job? But if thats so why does the Sun have so much to firtle with it?

Can you give me a full path, machine name and all to that - I can't
find it.

> >    2) The disklabel stuff STILL doesn't work.  I tried zero'ing the disc
> >       first; but running disklabel gives me various IOCTL errors.
>
> Define `various'.  Explain exactly what you did.  Using or not using
> -r makes a great difference on a pristine disk.  Using your own idea
> of a device node, too (simply use `sd0' or such).

Sorry - I was in too much of a rush ; the server was own and I had
colleagues screaming for their data :-) - didn't write the IOCTL
name down.

> This is what is supposed to work:
>
> 	dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0 count=15
> 	disklabel -Brw sd0 auto

No (well I didn't put the -B in); I fdisk'd first, but I also tried
just fdisk'ing and just disklabeling (I think) - nothing gave
a happy result.

Dave