Date:      Thu, 2 Feb 95 03:21:34 EST
From:      ups@tree.com (Stephan Uphoff)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ups@tree.com
Subject:   Re: Am I dreaming?

>> amd relies on NFS retransmissions for reliability.  If it needs to do
>> something that isn't finished right away, it will just drop the
>> packet, start the operation, and let the kernel eventually time out

>I think the question was more one of how it get its mitts on user
>requests for files that aren't currently mounted.
>
>					Jordan

In order to automout nfs filesystems you need a special filesystem
that sits in the path of file that the user requests.
When a user requests a file it passes through this filesystem.
The filesystem can at that point mount the remote filesystem.
Confused ? Me too - sorry I'm still on a jetlag :(

Maybe an example will help:

@@@@@
A directory contains  auto-mountpoints

/auto

The use should be able to automount a:/home1 and B:/home2 as
/auto/home1 and /auto/home2.

The trick is:
	/auto is a special filesystem (a special nfs server)
        that is triggered by lookup request in the directory /auto
        for home2.
        It then mounts B:/home2 on /mnt_points/XXX (or whatever)
        and the lookup resturns a symbolic link to /mnt_points/XXX
        Normal NFS will now work with the remote filesystem
@@@@@

I hope that answers the questions.
There are actually two methods I know of - so if you are still
interested let me know and I'll try for a full explanation tomorrow
(when I'm not sleeptyping)

	Stephan